The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel Abu Jinapor, has expressed satisfaction with work done so far at the ongoing Apiate reconstruction site following the January 20, 2022 explosion that wiped out the community.
According to the lands minister, the reconstruction of the community is about 30 percent complete and the first phase of work is expected to be completed by end of the year.
The Minister said this during a tour of the site to inspect the progress of work on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
According to him, the reconstruction of the community is on schedule and the government hopes to complete the project as scheduled.
“By ending of this year, we will finish phase one of the reconstruction and that will enable us to resettle the displaced people of Apiate,” he said.
The Minister accompanied by his Deputy noted that at the end of the construction, the community will have schools, hospitals, clinics, community centres, markets, roads and access to potable water and electricity.
Speaking at the ceremony the Minister and Member of Parliament for Damongo said he is impressed with the progress of work.
He added that 124 housing units ranging from two to seven-bedroom houses are under construction whilst 104 are at foundation level.
Mr. Jinapor described the project as a community that he believes will become a model for other rural communities in the country.
He further appreciated the government’s efforts to ensure that the people of Apiate return to their normal lives
“Indeed, what has happened in the Apiate community is a clear testimony that we have a government that walks the talk,” he added.
The Minister further indicated that the government is fully determined to make sure the reconstruction is completed and ensure that people are resettled properly.
Speaking on behalf of the Appiatse community, the Divisional Chief of Bepoh, Nana Atta Kojo Beremebi Il, called on the Minister to ensure the release of funds into the Appiatse Disaster Relief Fund to take care of affected persons.