The 2021 Ghana Energy Awards (GEA) has honoured deserving personalities and companies in the country’s energy industry for diverse contributions to the sector at an elaborate ceremony which took place Friday November 19 at the Labadi Beach Hotel, Accra.
The 5th anniversary edition of the prestigious awards, under the theme: “Digitalised Energy Sector: The Key For A Resilient Economic Future”, was especially dedicated to acknowledging and rewarding the sector’s efforts at digitalisation and their impacts on innovation and the overall energy business environment. It was organised by the Energy Media Group in partnership with GP Business Consulting.
At the height of the event, the Chief Executive of the Volta Authority, Ing. Emmanuel Antwi-Darkwa, was crowned the Energy Personality of the Year, with Tullow Ghana’s Deputy Managing Director, Lady Cynthia Lumor claiming the coveted Female Energy Personality of the Year.
Chief Executive of the Ghana Grid Company, GRIDCO, emerged the CEO of the Year in the power category while Dr Ben K. D. Asante, CEO of Ghana Gas topped in the petroleum category. Energy Company of the Year for Power was Sunon Asogli Power, GOIL took the same award in the petroleum category, with Meinergy Technology picking the award in the Renewable category. The Bui Power Authority picked up double awards for Excellence in Power Generation and Clean Energy Initiative of the Year.
Chaired by former president John Agyekum Kufuor, the 5th GEA had in attendance the Minister of Energy, Dr Matthew Opoku-Prempeh, Dr Zanetor Agyeman-Rawlings, and several representatives of government, various heads of organisations and institutions present to grace the occasion.
Lawyer Kwame Jantuah, Chairman of the GEA Awarding Panel, noted that the devastating changes imposed on the world by the Coronavirus pandemic had created the necessary environment for the shift toward digitalisation which is imperative for the much needed energy transition.
The GEA, he said, believes the ‘digital pandemic sweeping across the globe’ will usher in an introduction of massive technology into Ghana’s energy sector, hence the theme for this year’s awards.
2021 GHANA ENERGY AWARDS – Award Winners
- Energy Personality of the Year – Male———-Emmanuel Antwi-Darkwa, CE, VRA
- Energy Personality of the Year – Female——-Lady Cynthia Lumor, Deputy MD, Tullow Ghana
- CEO of the Year – Power—————————Ing. Jonathan Amoako-Baah, former CE, GRIDCO
- CEO of the Year – Petroleum———————-Dr Ben K. D. Asante, CEO, Ghana Gas
- Digital Leadership Impact Award——————Mami Dufie-Ofori, Executive Secretary, PURC
- Outstanding Contribution to Digitalisation——-Electricity Company of Ghana
- Rising Star Award————————————-Juliana Serwaa Adusei, BPA
- Energy Institution of the Year———————-Africa Centre for Energy Policy (ACEP)
- Energy Company of the Year – Power———-Sunon Asogli Power
- Energy Company of the Year – Petroleum—–GOIL
- Energy Company of the Year – Renewable—-Meinergy Technology
- Exceptional Digital Management Award——–Volta River Authority
- Innovation Project of the Year———————Equator Energy
- Digitalisation Project of the Year——————MiDA
- Emerging Energy Company of the Year———Alpha TND
- Energy Consultancy Service Organisation of the Year – Arthur Energy Advisors
- Brand of the Year————————————–PETROSOL
- Corporate Social Responsibility of the Year—-Petroleum Commission
- Excellence in Power Generation——————-Bui Power Authority
- Clean Energy Initiative of the Year—————-Bui Power Authority
- Off-Grid Energy Solution of the Year————-SunPower Innovations
- Excellence in Digital Service Delivery————National Petroleum Authority
- Energy Reporter of the Year————————Kingsley Nana Boadu, GTV
- Exemplary Leadership Award———————-Senyo Hosi, CEO, CBOD
- Lifetime Achievement Awards———————–Former President John Agyekum Kufuor (received in-person), and Late President Jerry John Rawlings (posthumously) received by Dr Zanetor Rawlings
- Women In Energy Excellence Award————-Dr Stella Agyenim-Boateng, DCE, Services, VRA
- Student impact programme of the year – Tertiary cycle—The Gas Challenge-Ghana Gas
- Student impact programme of the year – Secondary cycle—-Renewable Energy Challenge-Energy Commission
- Excellence in Leadership & Governance Award – Ministry of Energy
GEA 2021, under the theme: “Digitalised Energy Sector: The Key For A Resilient Economic Future”, is endorsed by the Ministry of Energy and the World Energy Council Ghana.
The Awards Scheme, organised by the Energy Media Group in collaboration with GP Business Consulting Ghana, recognises the achievements, innovation and contributions of players and organisations in the country’s energy sector.