• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
Thursday, May 21, 2026
Republic Online
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • Lead story
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Agriculture
    • Banking and Finance
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Mining
    • Real Estate
    • Technology
    • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Top Stories
  • Local News
    • Crime
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Africa
  • World
  • Home
    • Lead story
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Agriculture
    • Banking and Finance
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Mining
    • Real Estate
    • Technology
    • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Top Stories
  • Local News
    • Crime
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Africa
  • World
No Result
View All Result
Republic Online
No Result
View All Result
Home Top Stories

I wanted to shutdown internet nationwide after helicopter crash – Sam George

Republic Online by Republic Online
August 12, 2025
in Top Stories
Telcos to increase data bundle beginning July 1 – Communications Minister
Share on FacebookShare on XShare on WhatsApp

The Minister of Communications, Digital Technology and Innovation (MoCDTI), Samuel Nartey George, has said he considered shutting down the internet in Ghana last week following the fatal helicopter crash.

His reason is that he wanted to stop the circulation of graphic videos before families of the victims were informed.

READ ALSO

Security beefed up in Bawku as Army launches operation cordon and search

Security beefed up in Bawku as Army launches operation cordon and search

May 20, 2026
NPP is under pressure over my corruption trial cases – Ayine 

NPP is under pressure over my corruption trial cases – Ayine 

May 20, 2026

In a radio interview with Joy FM on Tuesday [August 12, 2025], the Ningo-Prampram Member of Parliament said disturbing footages from the scene of the incident was spreading quickly on WhatsApp, a platform beyond government control.

“When the incident happened, I was distraught, but we still had a responsibility to the state. I got a call with the videos that started circulating. The unfortunate situation is most of them were circulating on WhatsApp, and WhatsApp is a platform that is not controlled by any country. It’s a private business,” Mr George said.

“But that also had consequences for news access, emergency communication, and even the economy,” he added.

One was to shut down the internet in the country to prevent further spread of the videos, because government had not officially completed communication to the families. Government had not made a formal communication. You had some of the kids who are old enough being online. I was worried about the mental health of those kids and their spouses, and such a tragedy needs to be broken in a certain way.

Mr George said the ministry instead worked with the Cyber Security Authority, Meta, which owns WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram, and Ghana’s telecom operators to limit circulation.

He said the National Communications Authority (NCA) coordinated with MTN, Telecel and AirtelTigo to send more than 30 million text messages within two hours, urging the public to stop sharing the images. The telecom companies absorbed the entire cost of the alert.

“IMPORTANT ALERT- We have become aware of videos and photos circulating on social media of a helicopter crash and the burning bodies of some victims. We ask that out of respect to the individuals involved, circulation of these videos and photos should stop immediately, and all copies deleted. We count on your co-operation. Our prayers are with the families and friends of those impacted – MoCDTI”

He said Meta removed much of the content from Facebook and Instagram but could not delete encrypted messages on WhatsApp.

He criticised some traditional media outlets for airing graphic scenes, describing it as a breach of professional ethics, and urged greater sensitivity in reporting tragedies.

The minister said the incident showed the need for updated digital laws, adding that planned amendments to the Electronic Communications Act will include provisions drawn from the Ghana Journalists Association’s code of ethics to protect the privacy and dignity of grieving families.

 

Source: Graphic Online

Tags: Communications ministerHelicopter crashSam George
Previous Post

Omane Boamah traded his car in support of my campaign – Kevor

Next Post

All funerals scheduled for August 21 banned – Manhyia

Next Post
All funerals scheduled for August 21 banned – Manhyia

All funerals scheduled for August 21 banned - Manhyia

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Boats, fire and a TikTok song – inside Arsenal’s title win

Boats, fire and a TikTok song – inside Arsenal’s title win

19 hours ago
“Your statement portrays me as Antagonist” – Wontumi hits back at Koduah

Wontumi unveils campaign team for NPP National Chairmanship race

3 days ago
ECG needs strategic private participation – Dubik Mahama

ECG needs strategic private participation – Dubik Mahama

2 days ago
W/R: Mother, 3 children, killed by abandoned galamsey pit in Wassa Dunkwa

Bibiani: One shot dead, seven injured in violent clash at galamsey site

2 days ago
Driver-unions threaten 20% nationwide fare increase over VIP fare hikes

Driver-unions threaten 20% nationwide fare increase over VIP fare hikes

7 hours ago
Suame Magazine fire kills man, structures and vehicles torched

Suame Magazine fire kills man, structures and vehicles torched

3 days ago

FOLLOW US

  • 33k Fans
  • 874 Followers
  • 121.8k Followers
  • 266 Followers
  • 8.1k Subscribers

BROWSE BY CATEGORIES

  • Africa
  • Bryan Acheampong
  • Business
    • Agriculture
    • Banking and Finance
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Mining
    • Technology
    • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Elections
    • 2020 Elections (Archive)
    • 2024 Elections
  • Entertainment
    • Movie
  • General
  • International
    • Middle East
  • kwahu
  • Lead story
  • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
    • Health
  • Local News
  • Newspapers
  • Parliament
  • Politics
  • Review
  • Sports
  • Top Stories
  • Uncategorized
  • World
    • Latin America

BROWSE BY TOPICS

Accra Circuit Court Akufo Addo arrested Ashanti Region Black Stars Chronicle Court Crusading Guide Daily Dispatch Daily Graphic Daily Guide Daily Statesman dead Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia Finance Minister Frontpages Galamsey Ghana Ghanaian Times Ghana Police Service Headlines John Dramani Mahama Ken Ofori-Atta Mahama Man Metro Lens Minister for Lands and Natural Resources Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo National Democratic Congress National Democratic Congress (NDC) NDC New Patriotic Party New Patriotic Party (NPP) Newspaper Newspaper headlines Nigeria NPP Parliament Police President Akufo Addo Publisher Republic Press Speaker of Parliament top stories Trending

POPULAR NEWS

  • Newspaper Headlines: Tuesday, July 8, 2025

    Newspaper Headlines: Wednesday, May 20, 2026

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 2023 RTP Awards: List of winners announced

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nuhu Bayorbo Mahama appointed new Students Loan Trust fund CEO 

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NPP Primaries: Frank Ahimah Mireku picks number 3 on ballot paper

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Inaki Williams declared fit, set to join the Black Stars on Thursday

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

About

Republic Online delivers breaking news, politics, business, and social stories from Ghana and around the world. We are committed to accurate journalism, transparency, and public interest reporting.

Follow us

All Topics

  • 2020 Elections (Archive)
  • 2024 Elections
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Banking and Finance
  • Bryan Acheampong
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • General
  • Health
  • International
  • kwahu
  • Latin America
  • Lead story
  • Lifestyle
  • Local News
  • Middle East
  • Mining
  • Movie
  • Newspapers
  • Parliament
  • Politics
  • Review
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Top Stories
  • Tourism and Hospitality
  • Uncategorized
  • World

News Updates

  • Security beefed up in Bawku as Army launches operation cordon and search
  • NPP is under pressure over my corruption trial cases – Ayine 
  • Gyakye Quayson represents Mahama at swearing-in of Museveni
  • Wontumi denies wrongdoing in ¢30m Exim Bank fraud charges
  • Surrender properties during robbery – IGP
  • EFCC arrests former Nigerian power minister after 75-year corruption sentence 
  • 28 killed in drone strike at Sudan market
  • Don Moen visits Ghana to mark 53rd wedding anniversary

Copyright © 2026 Republic Online. All rights reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • 2020 Elections (Archive)
  • 2024 Elections
  • Africa
  • Bryan Acheampong
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Entertainment
  • General
  • World
  • kwahu
  • Latin America
  • Lead story
  • Local News
  • Newspapers
  • Politics
  • Review
  • Sports
  • Top Stories

Copyright © 2026 Republic Online. All rights reserved